Friday, March 14, 2008

Deve andare a Pompeii!!!!

Pompeii....wow, there isn't much I can say about this place except that you have to go here to really understand just how amazing a place this is. Architecturally, yea it's great, but historically, to phathom this place two thousand years ago and to see it standing in the state it is standing in considering what happened is just....amazing. If you ever find yourself in Italy, Pompei has to be on the agenda. If you are in Rome, you can wake up early enough and get to Pompei and spend a lto of time there and then make it back to Rome by nightfall, it's worht it!!...


You can see the pompeian streets here, people walked on the sides and there was an obvious heighth difference from where the horses walked for drainage and to keep people from stepping in the horse's.....yea, you can tell where I'm going with that. It's so beautiful to see cobblestone streets like that, let alone to imagine them that way two thousand years ago...

This image was taken from behind the Temple of Jupiter on a street. It's a little different from the last image, but at the same moment, the arch in the background is beautiful. You can see the formation of the arcade on the left leading up to it. Imagining Pompei was half the fun of this experience.

This is a courtyard, fairly bigger than a courtyard, I forget the exact use of it, but it is in great condition, probable because of its scale. It is a on the end of the city so the force of the lava wasn't as strong as it was within the city streets you might say.

this is from a hill on the edge of Pompei, looking back into parts of the city. I would say that the ruins of Pompei are about 50 times the size of what you can see in this image, probably much bigger. Beautifully formed walls, and the people who maintain the ruins still try and plant trees regularly to give a better sense of the space.

I wanted to take a picture of Mount Vesuvius from the temple of jupiter but the weather became more cloudly and this was really the only good image I got of the volcano. But it is very prominent still.

another image from the exterior of the city, looking at some of the public roads with monuments and some made displays by the preservationists.

this is the temple of jupiter. I am standing in an arcade on the left, there is the arcade at the right, the common open space (which is grass now) and the temple beyond it with the columns. This was one of the most common points if I'm not mistaken. It's beautiful.

The amplitheater from above, very amazing to see these. Not much I can say about it except that it's beautiful and awesome to imagine the uses of it when it was in existence.

This was the coliseum, much smaller than Rome's obviously, but a similar type of construction, very segragated from the city, it's on the periphery.

Overall, I spent less than a day in Pompei, but I should have spent at least two more days. There is so much to see and learn about. The thing that got me the most, that was most amazing to me, was to see wood lintels holding up these over two thousand year old structures. Original wood lintels. Not replacements. It's incredible to me, that they have been preserved that well and still function properly with all that weight holding it up.
After Pompei i went back to Salerno to catch my train too Bari so I could get to Greece!!!

No comments: